Wednesday, January 14, 2009

diy catch up

During the long Christmas break I had time to work on a few projects:

The shelves in the garage are finished, and are already overflowing! They worked very nicely, even though on the opposite side of the garage, there was no continuous joist line to screw the brackets into. A bit of creative spacing helped that, and they are screwed solidly into studs instead.

The bathroom is now so close to being finished - there's only the basin left to hang on the wall. I'm procrastinating a bit on that one, as I'm a bit worried that I'll hang it in the wrong position and the waste won't fit. The shower walls were a little harder than I anticipated, mainly due to the walls not being plumb or in fact straight (not my fault!). But they're up and sealed and look pretty damn professional. I sealed the grout in the shower with some hugely expensive stuff from the Tile Depot. We'll see if it works.

I've begun looking at the front door hinges too. There's something seriously wrong here - with only two hinges, the door works beautifully, but when the third hinge is added, the door jams. And even though the top hinge has been butchered, and is now set about 5 mm further into the door than the bottom hinge, the door still lines up. Somethin' jes' ain't right thur.

No comments: